Hostile™

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving Forward since '06

3 posters

wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels

skylinesx
    skylinesx
    Hostile

wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels Empty wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels

Post by skylinesx Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Thought I would share this with everyone. I came across these wheels on a 2007 trd tacoma, the dealership was discarding them due to all the corrosion and scratches due to neglect by the previous owner of the vehicle.

hard to tell but all the painted areas between the spokes were bubbled up with corossion underneeth and the wheels were scratched and had tons of dirt scratched into the clear coat.
    wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels IMG_2475
    started by applying air craft stripper and removed all the clear coat and paint, then soda blasted them with a hand held blaster.

after soda blasting them I gave them a good scuffing with a 3m pad and primered them with rust tough krylon primer
    wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels IMG_8855
    then wet sanded the primer with 1000 grit
    wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels IMG_7493
    next i gave them a thorough cleaning with soapy water followed by cleaning and degreasing them and allowed to air dry

Finally I applied 2 very light coats I could see through of Duplicolor gunmetal wheel paint, then 1 heavier coat and a final "wet coat" leaving them almost wet looking but not runny. Next I applied 2 light coats of duplicolor wheel specific clear coat followed by 1 heavy and 1 wet coat of clear. After allowing them to dry in the sun I stored them overnight in the garage and they looked like this.
    wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels IMG_1242
    I mounted the tires myself on a good tire machine at work, If I had not had access to this machine I would have taken them to an aftermarket wheel shop with a specialty machine, a run of the mill machine would most likely have scratched the fresh paint and clear.

finished product, also painted my emblems with some left over paint and brought it all t/g I think.
    wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels IMG_1320
    wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels IMG_4779
    wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels IMG_8147
    HostileHonda
    HostileHonda
    Hostile

wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels Empty Re: wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels

Post by HostileHonda Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:47 pm

damn good job with that looks new
    hostile1
    hostile1
    Admin

wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels Empty Re: wheel refinishing, $50 brings life to tired dirty azz wheels

Post by hostile1 Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 am

looks good man
    skylinesx
    skylinesx
    Hostile

Post by skylinesx Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:37 pm

thank you, took a few days working 30 min here and there but well worth it especially since I got the wheels for free

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am